That’s the most common response I get from people when I tell them I bike to work.
Here are the unofficial Top Ten reasons I’ve heard during my years as a bicycle commuter.
1) I work in an office so I have to dress up.
2) I’d look like a mess when I got to work.
3) I sweat too much and we don’t have showers at work.
4) I haven’t gotten on a bike since I was a kid.
5) The way people drive is too scary.
6) I got hurt riding a bike once.
7) Bikes are too fancy and expensive these days.
8) I don’t have anyplace to keep a bike at work.
9) I have too much to carry to work.
10) I have too much driving to do during the day.
I suspect the REAL NO. 1 reason, though, is this: “I’m too self-conscious about how I look when I ride a bike.”
Fact is, everybody falls somewhere in the range between looking as good on a bicycle as Lance Armstrong, and as dorky as Pee Wee Herman. I’m probably a lot closer to the P.W.H. end of the appearance scale, but I feel a helluva lot smarter than anyone sitting behind the wheel of a car.